Church History

The First Congregational Church of Eaton, Colorado was organized on February 26, 1886. The first minister was the Reverend J.W. King. The first house of worship was dedicated on July 27, 1890. Through the years, this church continued to bear witness to faith in God as Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit reveals it to human beings.

In 1896, Mr. Scott Young organized a Sunday school in the old Rowe House in the vicinity of Ault. On Sunday, April 7, 1901, the First Congregational Church of Ault was organized as the 75th Congregational Church in Colorado. The Reverend J.W. King became the first Pastor. In 1904, the new church building was dedicated. It was the first church between Eaton and Cheyenne.

Both churches have carried forward the struggle for freedom in matters of Christian belief and practice within the parameters of the historic Christian faith. These churches have blessed many lives through their fellowship in the Christian Way.



In the early 1960’s, both the Ault and Eaton churches voted to join the United Church of Christ. On January 10, 1973, the two churches entered into a yoking arrangement which was maintained until the two parishes became one with the adoption of a Constitution and bylaws on October 25, 1992. Between that date and the end of 1997, minor amendments were passed and included.

On February 8, 1998 - at its annual meeting – the First Congregational Church of Eaton/Ault voted 83-12 (including absentee ballots) to pass amendments that caused the church to leave the United Church of Christ and join the Conservative Congregational Christian Conference.

On December 2, 2008, the First Congregational Church of Eaton/Ault voted unanimously to incorporate under new bylaws which establish an elder-led church government. The church remains dedicated to the task of creating mature believers, equipped for the work of ministry through the teaching and application of God’s Word to daily life – all so that they might glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

In 2018 the congregation voted to change the name of the church to Eaton Community Church.

We exist to create a passion for the supremacy and glory of God in all things for the joy of all who will believe through Jesus Christ.